Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Planning continues, but not without frustration

As we continue our planning of our wonderful trip to Walt Disney World and our cruise aboard the Disney DREAM, it is not without frustration.  Don't get me wrong, it's not really the planning or results of planning. That is all going very smoothly.  It is the reaction of certain family members knowing that we are going on this trip.  Sorry, but I am going to vent a bit here.  If you are a frequent Disney traveler, you will more than likely be able to relate to my frustration.

Do you get those looks from co-workers when you say that you are going on a trip to Walt Disney World, or Disneyland?  The look or even the comments that say, "you are going there, again?!"   Your response is more than likely, "yes, we are.  And we are really looking forward to seeing all the new things going on, that have been added."  What you would really like to say is, "YES!  WE are because we LOVE it there, and it's really NONE of your business!"  The comments from them like "Why? Nothing ever changes there."  WHAT?  Are they really serious?  Do they not watch the news?  Do they not read the paper?  Do they not see the big stories on the internet about all the awesome things happening at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland?
Nothing ever changes?  Really?  With the HUGE Fantasyland expansion at Walt Disney World going on through 2014, and CARSLAND just opening up at Disneyland...really...nothing changes?  Are they kidding?

If a friend or co-worker who visits the shore every summer, or goes to the mountains every year says they are doing that for their vacation....do I say "Why?  Nothing ever changes there!" ??  NO,..........I say. "GO!  Have a wonderful trip!"  Not,  "the only thing that changes at the shore is the tide, and the only thing that changes at the mountains is the trees grow taller."  If that is what you like to do, then do it.  Have fun.....just like we will do at my very favorite place in the world to visit and vacation.

Now, lets get to the family member.  My Father-in-Law, is a narrow minded individual.  It's unfortunate.  And I tell my husband that he better not ever get like that.  His comments are "why are you going there?  You were just there 2 years ago?" Two years, actually it will be 2.75 years! (can you say withdrawls?)   As my friend Amy Petermann wrote in a post on her blog called The Relocated Tourist,  "Stop apologizing," I will not apologize for our vacation choices.  It's not his money, so why should he care where we go?  I know I need to let this go, and let it roll off my shoulders..... but it's not easy!  This vacation we are taking (as many of you know), is in celebration of Paul's victory over cancer. This is to celebrate life, (since I came very close to losing him).....and a release, as we both went through a great deal.  By the grace of God, we are able to take, and enjoy this trip.  You would think that his own father would be a little more encouraging.  Oh well.  You just can't change some people, so I give up trying.

Now, let's get to the good part.  Plans are progressing.  We are booked at Port Orleans Riverside from October 9-14, 2012.  We will be staying in the Magnolia Bend area in the Magnolia Terrace building.  I requested that because it is away from the two buildings that have been renovated into the "Royal Rooms."  My reasoning behind this choice is the fact that we are not traveling with kids.  Been there, done that.  Not that I don't love kids, I do.  But, we will have them all over the place, and surrounded by them in the parks so there is no reason to throw yourself in the middle of them for your "resting time" too.
Traveling as just a couple (which is so much fun....try it some time!)...is so different that being at Disney with kids.  You don't have to worry about ANYONE other than the two of you!!  You can eat where you want, you can go for cocktails if you want, you can ride the attractions you want, and not have to "baby pass".
I had wonderful times with my kids, but the best trip ever was just my hubby and I on our last trip in 2010.

So, next working on my itinerary and dining choices.  We have Advanced Dining Reservations for the following:
 Arrival day: Tuesday 10/9  We have Advanced Dining reservations at Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge for 5:05pm, then on to Magic Kingdom for the evening.
Wednesday 10/10 -We will snack around at EPCOT Food and Wine Festival for lunch, and dinner we have ADR's for Tokyo Dining at 7pm.
Thursday 10/11 we have lunch ADR's at Crystal Palace at 12:20.  Then probably go back to the resort for a bit as we have tickets for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party that evening.
Friday 10/12 we have ADR's at Hollywood and Vine for 5:30, and then preferred seating for FANTASMIC, which I have never seen!  So looking forward to that!
Saturday 10/13 we do Animal Kingdom and first off we are booked for WILD AFRICA TREK, and then we have ADR's for California Grill for our last night. 

Really looking forward to going on the WILD AFRICA TREK.  Everyone I have spoken to about it totally raves about it, so we are doing it.  It is a very expensive tour to go on, but it will be worth it.  And, just something also in celebration of this trip.  The fact that Paul is physically able to do this, speaks volumes!!

So, there you have it.  Plans as they stand right now.  Not without frustration, but this will be one of our best trips "home" ever!! And, that is only the first section.  I will be posting our cruise information shortly.  We have to make final payment for that at the end of July.  At that time, I can make the reservations for shore excursions.  Look for this story at the beginning of August.

No comments:

Post a Comment