Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 30, 2012

My 5 Favorite Table Service Locations

This week, we are covering and reviewing My 5 Favorite Table Service locations on Walt Disney World property.  We have covered quick service/counter service locations, and last time snack locations.  This week, we get down to some really serious dining.  I love food.  But, I am pretty picky.  So I must add that I love really GOOD food.  Let me know if you agree with any of my choices below.  Give me your feedback.  Let me know what your favorites are in the comment section.  So, without further delay let's begin!

#5 ~ Crystal Palace
Of course the big draw for me at this location IS the location!   Also the setting and  the architecture (one of the prettiest restaurants in Magic Kingdom which would seem more like a Victorian Garden if it didn't have the ceiling and walls-with it's airy atmosphere it's a great escape from the crowds in the park), but most of all the characters.  I am a really big fan of Pooh and friends, especially Eeyore.  He is so near and dear to my heart.  Past experiences at Crystal Palace always bring a smile to my face when I think about them, and I want to get that same warm, cozy memory feeling with a new dining experience with my husband.  We have ADR's  (Advanced Dining Reservations) at Crystal Palace for lunch on our day at Magic Kingdom in October.  This is a buffet location, and the food is very good.   The breakfast buffet features omlets, fresh fruit and the standard breakfast fare.  The lunch menu consists  of a salad bar, deli bar, pasta dishes, chicken and fish.  The dinner buffet has such offerings as chicken, pasta, fish and carved meats.  They also have an ice cream sundae bar for lunch and dinner guests.  Kid appropriate dishes are available for the young palate.
The Crystal Palace is located toward the end of Main Street U.S.A, near Adventureland.

#4 ~ Kona Cafe

Kona Cafe is located in one one my favorite resorts, The Polynesian.  We dined at Kona Cafe our first night on WDW property on our last trip as we stayed at the Poly.  This restaurant is located on the second floor of the Great Ceremonial House around the corner from O'Hana.  Great food, wonderful servers!  The setting is full of warm colors, soft lighting and has a south sea decor, which makes this a very cozy and relaxing spot.  The menu tends toward the more exotic side as far as a Disney "casual" eatery goes, but they have some great choices.  Lunch and dinner have a definite Asian flair.  Breakfast lunch and dinner are served here as well as snacks.  Kona Cafe has a great reputation for having some of the best coffee on Disney property!!  I can attest to that...it was wonderful!!



#3 ~ Whispering Canyon Cafe

The name is a bit deceiving, as there is nothing quiet about this place!  "The Canyon" is one of the most boisterous  Disney restaurants.  All meals are offered A-la-cart or Family Style.  Breakfast fare is bacon, hash brown, and eggs, etc.  Lunch has pulled pork sandwiches, salads and the like.  Supper is totally delicious!  The family style (in my humble opinion) is the way to go. It is served in a big skillet that they put in the center of the table.  It contains pork ribs, and pulled pork, brisket and the "to-die-for" apple rosemary rotisserie chicken!  It is heavenly, and I can't wait to bite into it again.  This is a very fun location, with great food.  What more can you ask for??  Hint: If you ask your server for Ketchup, BEWARE!!  ;-)



 #2 ~ Tokyo Dining

I have written several review on this location.  The following is the most recent review that was published on   http://disneybythenumbers.com/.
Tokyo Dining: To sushi, or not to sushi, that is the question. By: Kris Banas

As an avid sushi - lover/eater, the answer to this question is an astounding YES! My husband and I are big sushi lovers, and Tokyo Dining in the Japan Pavilion at EPCOT, has some fabulous sushi. We had Advance Dining Reservations, and I told them at the time that I made them, that we were going to be on our honeymoon. They were so sweet to us when we checked in at the host desk, and greeted us with “Happy Honeymoon”!

When we were taken to our table, we ordered drinks, (My husband, Kirin Beer, and myself I ordered a glass of Plum Wine.)

After we ordered our food, our server came back with a group of others staff members, and they sang a song to us in Japanese about being married. It was really sweet. They even made us origami swans, and another little gift that was pink, and white paper and written in the middle it said, “Happy Honeymoon, Happy Marriage”. Sadly, I have misplaced this little gem, but will remember the time and effort that went into making our visit so special.

They brought us a fabulous salad with delicious ginger dressing, miso soup, edamame, and a delicious variety of sushi and sashimi, that was bar none, some of the best we have had. Living in the Chicago area, we have a wide array of sushi restaurants to pick from. We wondered if it could compare to some of the top notch places in the city. It ranked right up there with the best!
Tokyo Dining is a modern Japanese restaurant with a fabulous menu for lunch and dinner including sushi, sashimi, tempura and grilled steaks and chicken.

Perfect for connoisseurs and those who like new and exciting tastes, Tokyo Dining provides the finest in flavorful Japanese cuisine with fresh fish and vegetables and high-quality meats offered in a modern setting. Celebrate the excitement of modern Tokyo mixed in a harmonious union with the traditional food culture of ancient Edo.

Even if you are not the sushi lover like we are, there are other tempting items on the menu to enjoy. I highly recommend Tokyo Dining.

Since writing this article, I have found our little missing "gem" from this visit!!  I hid it where it would not be lost.  Isn't that always the case?  Safe keeping, and then you can't remember what you did  with it?   the picture is below along with a beautiful shot of the dining room.  

Try and get a table next to the window over looking World Showcase.  Great Illuminations viewing!!










#1 ~ California Grill

Sitting a-top the Contemporary Resort, this Disney signature dining location is number one on my list for multiple reasons.  First off, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!  The view from this place is absolutely wonderful.   Superb views of sunsets, and Magic Kingdom Fireworks can be seen.  Secondly, the service here is great.  They never rush you, they give you your space which allows you to have a leisurely meal without feeling a server breathing down your neck to get you done and out to fill the table again.  Thirdly, the food is delicious.  California Grill has been named "restaurant of choice" by Orlando Magazine, and for good reason.  Their ever changing menu always features something delicious.  Such items as wood-fired California flat-breads, oak-fired beef filet, goat cheese ravioli, sushi and grilled pork tenderloin, just to name a few. 
They have a fairly extensive wine list, and even offer a great selection of vegetarian items on the menu.
Reservations are almost a must, and if you have the Disney Dining Plan, this will take two table service meals for each person in your party.  Well worth it. We have ADR's for California Grill on our last night at Walt Disney World for our October trip.  This is the night before we will be leaving on our Disney Cruise Line DREAM adventure.  What a segue into our next adventure! 



There you have it.  My opinions, reviews and experiences at My 5 Table Service restaurants at Walt Disney World.  Please join us again, as we will dive into some of the experiences I am looking forward to having on our next trip.  There are still so many things I have not done.  Attractions I have yet to go on, resorts to explore, restaurants to dine at.  Until we meet again, Addio, Abschied, farval, despedida, прощание...farewell!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for these most excellent reviews, Kris. I always know more after reading your blogs, than I knew before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you izbemused! I appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete