Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 16, 2019

BOOK REVIEW! Bob Gurr: Legendary Imagineer

Today I present to you, my review of the new autobiography by legendary Disney Imagineer, Bob Gurr.  The full title, BOB GURR: Legendary Imagineer  Life and Times - Disney and Beyond covers all bases for this work.  

Front cover

 back cover




It struck me almost funny that Bob writes the way I do.  I write like I talk.

 I'm a high school graduate with no college.  I went to work right after school, started earning money, within less than two years I had ordered/bought a brand new car, and paid for it all by myself.  All my friends were in college, driving a car given or loaned to them by their parents.  Who's car did they all want to ride around in?  This girls!
I digress.

Everyone who knows me, knows I am a huge Disney fan.  Walt Disney the man fascinates me to no end.  I could read about him all day long.  Bob's time with Walt and his experiences with the man and his company sounds amazing, and that was one of the original reasons why I purchased this book.  As I read it though, my reasons for enjoying it really went to a broader spectrum.

If you are a fan of Disney, are interested in any type of engineering, design, art, or anything about being creative, you are going to love this book!  The history of design, motor travel, air travel, travel itself, is covered in the book in such a way that anyone can enjoy it.  Bob is a storyteller, and people like this write the best books.  Sure, lots of people write books, but if they are not written in a way that a "curious" person can relate, then the book is boring.  (When you read the book you will understand my point about being "Curious.)

Bob (even though 20+ years older than me,) reminds me of, well,.......me.  I said he writes like me, but also his career stemmed from his curiosity about things, where my life took me in the safe direction but I always had a curious and mechanical nature, like Bob.   When I was three, I used to take apart my high chair, and actually attempt to put it back together.  I would get the screwdriver from the drawer, and start to take out the screws and have several pieces of said high chair on the kitchen floor.  My Dad told me later than he had to pretty much put it back together all the time, but that I tried to help with that too.

Bob Gurr had a fascination with cars, racing, gliding, and airplanes.  I always had a fascination with airplanes too.  As a little girl I remember laying in the grass in my back yard trying to figure out how the jets in the sky actually stayed up there.  When I was six, I got to travel on a Delta airplane to Miami for my first time flying.  From that day I was hooked! I could fly anywhere, all day, everyday.  Seems like Bob was the same way.  I also love auto racing.  I never did it myself, but my first experience at the Indianapolis 500 in 1984 sent chills up my spine.  I have not been back since, but hope to get there again someday.  Now since my husband is a huge NASCAR fan, my love of that type of racing has become much greater.

I don't want to give away too much about this book, so I am not going to say anymore about what's in it.  The only thing I am going to add here is that the book was absolutely fascinating, and I had a hard time putting it down.  Since it was filled with so much that I am interested in, and Bob's philosophy on life in general is so similar to mine, I enjoyed this book a great deal.  It's probably one of the best things I have read in a long time.



You can get a copy of this book for yourself on Amazon.  I got it within a few days of ordering it.  Here is a link so you can order one for yourself!  https://www.amazon.com/BOB-GURR-Legendary-Imagineer-Disney/dp/179631305X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=AV88U80CAPY8&keywords=bob+gurr+life+and+times&qid=1560715149&s=gateway&sprefix=Bob+Gurr%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-1

The last thing I am going to say is a big Thank you to Bob Gurr himself for writing this book they way he wrote it.  I hope he reads this blog page so he can see this heartfelt review and admiration of him personally (even though we have never met, I feel I know him!).  Please make sure to follow the link a posted above, and order this book for yourself or someone who is a Bob Gurr fan.  You won't be sorry!
Thank you all for taking the time to read my review.  I hope you enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment